Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Free, I like Free, Desk

Yes I said free!!  I rarely get those offers and when I do well its the "Happy Dance" for me!
Here is the before, oh yes it was poorly painted black over blue.  The black paint was peeling off like you wish wallpaper would.  But only in spots SO I had to strip it!!  AHHHH haven't done that in about 20 years.  It hasn't changed much.  I used an Eco friendly stripper called Motsenbocker's Lift off paint and varnish remover.  It didn't smell and it didn't bother my hands although I did use gloves, and it worked better than I remember stuff working in the past.  But... it still took 2 days, off and on stripping and washing off and sanding, to get it down to bare wood.  Amazingly enough it was really pretty underneath.  I chose to keep the top a natural wood.  I also changed the handles so I had to fill the old holes and drill new ones in the center.


I really liked the blue underneath the black but there was no saving it.  I also am putting this in the store to sell so I had to stick with a more basic color, one I hope would appeal to more people. So it was painted an olive green with a glaze over the top.



I added small brass colored knobs from Hobby Lobby.  (The knobs were on sale this past week and let me tell you I bought a bunch!!)  The top was stained a provincial from Minwax. 




We will see how she fairs at the store for sale....But quite a difference from the BEFORE


To the after




5 comments:

  1. Yay! Yay! Yay! It looks fabulous! I'm so happy you were able to use it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free! Wow nice makeover sometimes you have to play it safe with color but I think the desk wil make it's way to a good home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the color is great! Love that you kept the color of the wood for the top. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Connie great find and super redo it is a total transformation!!

    I like the natural top!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Come and join my fashionable Giveaway from The Shabby Apple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this color! What do you use for your glaze? I haven't figured that out yet! Love, Me

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts