Monday, February 6, 2012

Shakespears Coffee Table



I found this table at the local charity thrift store.  It looked like a dining table with all those legs



and it was split down the middle like you might add leaves.....but it was nailed shut



The strangest part was the routed out center part.  Now if that had been a square I might have added some cool glass tiles to it.  But a circle?  Probably not.  What to do?

I had gotten two books of Shakespeare Plays at the thrift store a while back the pages were kind of yellowed.

I thought I would like to put those into the middle.  So we filled the split in the middle with putty, then I modge podged over the whole thing to seal it. 


 Then I put more Modge Podge on it and added the Shakespear Pages randomly.



And added more Modge Podge..............Then I painted it all Black,


I trimmed the pages around the edge made sure the top was LEVEL and added EnviroTex Lite Pour-on High Gloss Finish.  I believe we did two layers. It is the coolest stuff!

 
You do it thin layers at a time.  We had to be sure that we made enough to cover the whole surface in one shot.  Took two of us working together.  You STIR, STIR, STIR, then pour it on, kind of smooth it out, then leave it to settle out and level itself. Two coats and it brought it up to match the top of the table.






 I took it to the Consignment Store where I volunteer Treasures where hopefully someone will think it is as cool as I do!
Have a great week!

Sharing at :
Piece of Work Wednesday
elizabethandco.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. Wow Connie, that is a cool table. I can see it in a reading room sitting area~so many ways to use this concept too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat table Connie thanks for sharing the Enviro Tex Lite product I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie, your table turned out beautifully! Great idea to use the putty to seal the crack. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this look! I think it will be snapped right up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I love this! I know this one won't last long!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts